User experience designer and enthusiast.
Well, two of those things, anyway.
The important stuff
E-mail: joshuateal [at] gatech [dot] edu
Resumé: HTML below, PDF here
Usability and User Research:
- Stakeholder facilitation
- Requirements gathering
- Card sorts
- Affinity diagramming
- Focus groups
- Cognitive walkthrough
- Competitive analysis
- Heuristic analysis
- Hi-fidelity HTML/CSS/JS prototypes
- Remote usability testing
- In-lab usability testing
Programming and Design:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Linux/Unix Shell
- iOS/Android development
Business and Miscellaneous:
- Technical Writing
- Agile project management
- Research documentation
- Usability/UX findings and recommendations documentation
- Online community development
- Russian language (fluent)
- French language (survival)
Usability Analyst at AutoTrader.com (May 2011 - Present)
- Communicated with project managers, site owners, and other stakeholders to determine opportunities for usability improvement
- Developed usability test plans, recruited appropriate participants, developed wireframes and high-fidelity prototypes
- Facilitated usability tests, both remotely and in-lab
- Compiled and presented findings and recommendations reports to project stakeholders
- Provided information architecture and interaction design expertise for one-off internal projects
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology (January 2012 - Present)
- Assisted in instruction, grading, and tutoring for Professor Eric Gilbert's Design of Online Communities course.
- Delivered lectures and facilitated class discussions regarding identity online, governance in online communities, and social capital in online communities.
User Interface Designer and Developer, Go Viral to Improve Health team (January 2012 - Present)
- Developed a website and mobile web application designed to encourage healthy, balanced food choices in populations of children highly susceptible to diabetes and childhood obesity.
- Per competition requirements, integrated social network sites and created an online community where players can broadcast their scores and discuss the game and related health issues.
- Integrated health indicators data from the Health Indicators Warehouse to provide useful and incentivizing health data and statistics for players.
Researcher and Developer, Georgia Tech Sonification Lab(August 2010 - December 2010)
- Implemented auditory menu enhancements (auditory scrollbars, nearcons/spearcons) in NVDA, an open-source Windows-based screen reader.
- Conducted ethnographic research of low-vision users to gather requirements, then designed a usability study to measure the increase in menu navigation and positional awareness within applications.
- Iterated on the prototype, including several vertical prototypes and Wizard of Oz testing.
Systems Engineer, Virtucom, Inc.(2010)
- Managed a 4,400-user routed network for Carrollton City School System.
- Created and managed a 4,400-user Microsoft Active Directoy forest.
- Provided complete hardware and software support for school system PC's and other instructive technologies, e.g. Promethean Boards, Elmo Document Cameras, audio-visual equipment.